Monday, May 30, 2011

INSPIRATIONS

I have had the opportunity to meet some stellar people who have touched my heart and rattled my brain...some are new acquaintances and some have been in my life for years.  This is my paean to you, all who touch my life....

We met Angela and Paul about two weeks ago; they had just pedalled down to Italy from Wales.  Yes, you read correctly, pedalled (the Brits call bicycling pedalling) from Wales...there were 2 ferry rides to be fair, but, mostly, they rode their bikes.  From Wales to France, south through France, into Italy, to us, and, OH YEAH, they rode their bikes over the Alps.  (If I could figure out a way to download a map, I'd trace their trip for ya!)  AND, they thought riding the Alps was easier than manipulating the hills here in Le Marche,  because, you see, the incline is more gentle, not as steep and fast as here.  They had a great time, riding about 40 miles/5 hours a day, stopping for lunch along the road, quitting for the day when tired, finding a hotel, and starting all over the next day.  They are delightful people with a fabulous story to tell and we were lucky enough to be a small part of that.  Gary was so inspired he bought us mountain bikes---they're still in the garage in pieces, but, I am sure, they will be put to good use.

Last week we went to the museum in the nearby town of Falerone, only to discover the museum is open only during July and August or by special appointment (!!).  Sooo, we explored the town with our friends, Dennis and Kathy, and came upon a small shop loaded with artwork.  The man loitering in the piazza behind us knows the artist and rang his doorbell...

Adelio Marini answered his door, enveloped us 4 strangers with warmth, explained he's been making art for 80 years, and apologized for the rooms stuffed with his canvases--he's run out of space.  He opened his shop, explaining his inspirations and techniques, like a kid in a giant toy box anxious to show off every toy--every drawer, every nook, every corner, filled with his work.  It was a study in passion and commitment and the creative process.  My soul was fed from this encounter.

Adelio Marini and one of his canvases....
www.rajzi.bme.hu/adeliomarini







I have a friend who has been diagnosed with a serious disease.  He suffered for several years before the actual diagnosis came in, but come it did.  I have watched him grapple with the disease, accept the impact on his life, and choose to LIVE.  He doesn't dwell on the pain or the potentially horrible effects, he involves himself in life-affirming things---laughter, music, food, friends, family---he doesn't care to spend time with negative people or in negative situations, he just wants to live, relishing the joy.  I have the privilege of sharing some of that joy with him.

Here in our small part of the world, I have the time to reflect on many things--my life, my husband, my priorities, my goals, my beliefs--but one overriding theme in my life is the people who populate it.  I choose to surround myself with people who are strong of character, who have beliefs they defend, who appreciate thinking and speaking well, who give freely, who are sensitive to others, who love to experience new things, who are passionate....how lucky am I??   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pat,
    I can't believe that I missed seeing/reading your Inspirations entry until this morning (June 9). It inspired me, as you inspire me. Your last sentence is a perfect articulation of what I feel about you, my muse!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete