Friday, April 27, 2012

THE EVOLUTION OF A KITCHEN

I know the experience of putting in a new kitchen is not unique...most of the people I know--that would be you--have renovated, rebuilt, renewed a kitchen, a bathroom, a house.  But the lingering memory of it all is THE GRIT.  The crunchy, sticky, slippery stuff that travels from "the room" to every nook and cranny of the house....and no matter how much I clean, I mop, I sweep, I dust, it lives and thrives and grows.  And I'm in constant cleaning mode--not my favorite mode in which to live.  And then one day, it's done...and the cleaning continues, but the final product is admired and enjoyed.  And like the pain of childbirth, the nightmare of THE GRIT is a long-forgotten memory. 

I'm still waiting for the memory to replace the reality, but I am confident....Below is a pictorial of the process...luckily for you the grit doesn't photograph well.

exposed gas line...yep, that's cement and rock
before renovation






                                                    

pipes and plumbing--
more than I ever wanted to
know about what's behind
the walls



the artist at work!!  the tiling mostly finished....








And then IKEA came and in four hours assembled and installed all the elements...and I now have an expanded work space and a solid counter top and more cupboards...wahoo!!!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for having the creativity, energy, aesthetic sense, patience, good humor and perseverance to create such a beautiful kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot to sign my comment above: it's from Lynne of course :-)

    ReplyDelete